Changing a child’s surname

by Peter Magee on January 28, 2012

Peter Magee
Have you ever wanted to change your child’s surname or wanted your child to have a hyphenated surname, for example, “Smith-Jones”?
What can you do if you do not agree with the child’s other parent about a particular surname? You may be surprised to learn that people do raise this as an issue in family law litigation.
It is important to bear in mind that litigation should always be a last resort, only resorted to once your attempts to reach agreement outside court have failed.
Often, parents will raise the issue of their child’s surname when they are litigating in court at the same time as they raise other issues, for example who the child lives with and the amount of time that the child spends time with the other parent (the parent that they are not living with).
For legal advice from our experienced team of family lawyers about this topic and any other family law issue, please do not hesitate to contact us to arrange a without-obligation first conference.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: